Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Italian Beef

Italian Beef
creator unknown

Roast Beef
Salt and Pepper
2 cups water
3 or 4 beef bullion cubes
2 or 3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. basil

Salt and pepper the roast and cook as usual.  After cooking add the rest of the ingredients.  Slice paper thin and put in the sauce.  Marinate overnight.  Heat before serving.

**************

I realize the recipe lacks a few steps, so let me elaborate as to what I do.  I cook the roast beef in the crock pot with enough water to almost but not quite cover it.  Occasionally I'll get all fancy and sear it on a pan before putting it in there, but it's not necessary.  When it's done, I'll pull that baby out and let it rest on the cutting board until it cools enough for me to handle it.  In the meantime, I skim off the fat from the water left in the crock pot, drop the bullion cubes, garlic (I use minced, actually... about a tablespoon), rosemary and basil into the water.  When the roast is cool enough to handle, I slice it thin and return it to the liquid in the crock pot.  I clamp a lid on that baby and when it's cool enough I put the crock pot into the fridge.  (My slow-cooker has a removable crock.)  It marinates overnight and when I'm ready to eat it, I heat up what I want in the microwave.

Hum.  Maybe my elaborating didn't help.  No matter what, you can rest assured that salt, pepper, bullion, garlic, rosemary, and basil make a great spice combination for beef roast.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home