Saturday, March 26, 2011

White Beans and Tomatoes With Pasta

White Beans and Tomatoes With Pasta


2 (14.5 ounce) cans of Italian Style tomatoes, diced or sliced
1 (19 ounce) can of cannellini beans (white beans), rinsed
10 ounces fresh spinach
8 ounces penne pasta
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Cook the pasta el dente.

In a large skillet, bring tomatoes and beans to a boil over medium heat.  Reduce and simmer for ten minutes.  Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, stirring constantly.  Serve the sauce over pasta and sprinkled with feta cheese.


*************

This recipe is very tasty with the added convenience of pre-seasoned tomatoes. Last night I cooked dry white beans, so I used 20 ounces of them in this recipe instead of the canned.  I also used spaghetti instead of penne pasta. This is very easy to make and comes together quickly.  Adding the spinach can be a little tricky.  It's more manageable if you add two or three handfuls at a time.  This could easily feed four if you add a salad and a hard crusted bread.  Yum.

When I was struggling with anemia, I read an article that these beans are a good source of iron.  I don't remember where I found this recipe, only that I found it online while trying to figure out how to use them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home